One of these days we went grocery shopping and saw a packet of cracked wheat/Dhalia/Fada at the counter. I have always heard as to how good cracked wheat is for your health, so immediately we bought it and tried this simple recipe at home. It has so many nutritional benefits and top it all it taste so delicious. So if you are one of those who don’t like khichdi, try out this recipe and trust me you will not regret. You can serve it with plain yoghurt or buttermilk. Again it’s one of those recipes where you can be more creative and add vegetables of your choice and make it more healthy.
So the measurement is how many cups of fada/dalia you have, take half of moong daal and the water is 4 times of fada/dalia. For eg- If you take 1 cup fada/dalia, you need ½ cup of moong daal and 4 cups of water.
- 2 cup fada (cracked wheat)
- 1 cup moong daal
- 1 tblsp minced ginger
- 1 tblsp minced garlic
- 2 green chopped green chillies
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves
- Handful peanuts
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tblsp mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp Fenugreek seed
- 1/4 tblsp turmeric
- pinch of asafetida
- 2 tblsp red chilly powder (or as per taste)
- Salt per taste
- In a pressure cooker, add 4 tblsp of oil.
- Add dry red chillies, cloves, cinnamon
- Mix the chopped green chillie, mustard seeds, asafetida and fenugreek seeds.
- To this mix the minced ginger, garlic and peanuts.
- Add cracked wheat (fada) to it and salt as per taste, cook it until the fada turns little while for about 7-10 mins. You will see them turning white.
- Mix in turmeric and red chilly powder.
- Add Moong daal. Stir it well
- Add 8 cups of water & let it sit for 1-2 hrs. To be on safer side, we always taste the water in order to make sure that it taste fine, as this is time where you can add salt, more chilly powder or any other spices that you think you need more.
- Let the cooker whistle twice. It should take about 10-15 mins.
- Fada khichdi is ready to serve!