Ragda Patties is famous Indian Chaat also know as Aloo tikki chaat/Sev Usal. It is made of potato patties and spicy sauce made of dried green peas. It is garnished with spicy chutneys, chopped onions, sev & cilantro for garnish.
Ingredients for the Ragda:
- Green Vatana (Whole Dried Green Peas) – 2 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder -1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Ginger – 2 tsp, minced
- Green Chillies – to taste, minced
- Onions – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 large, chopped
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – 1/4 tblsp
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Sugar and salt as per taste
- Wash and soak the Vatana overnight in water. Drain, rinse and add Vatana plus fresh water (6 cups) and salt to taste in a pressure cooker. Allow pressure cooker to whistle once, reduce the stove to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to go down by itself.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add chopped onions, Add Turmeric Powder and Curry Leaves. Mix. Add Ginger & Green Chilies. Add Tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add crushed cinnamon. Pour in cooked Vatana and bring to a boil. Additional water may be added to get desired consistency.
- Add Salt and Sugar as per taste.
- Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves)
Ingredients for the Patties:
- 5-6 Potatoes – boiled, peeled and mashed
- Ginger/Green Chili Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tblsp
- Crushed Black Pepper – 1 tblsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) for garnish
- Boil, peel and mash Potatoes. Add all ingredients and mix well with hands.
- Take a small portion (as big as you want the patty to be) and form a round and flat patty. Form all patties. Shallow fry patties with a little oil and brown both sides.
- Place 1 to 2 patties in a flat bowl or dish. Pour Ragda over patties. Garnish with Coriander Chutney or Mint Chutney, Tamarind Chutney, Sev, chopped Onions and Cilantro.